~ 1844 Pattern Yeomanry Volunteers Percussion Cavalry Carbine Dated 1847 ~
The carbine has multiple stamps and proof marks.
The lock plate is stamped with VR beneath the Queen’s Crown and ‘Tower 1847’.
The top of the barrel is stamped with a number of proof marks and inspector’s marks, please refer to the images.
The wooden stock is stamped on one side ‘BO’ and broad arrow and underneath with a pair of inspector’s marks.
Opposite the lock plate, the stock is stamped ‘JD’.
The carbine is fitted with front and rear sights.
It has the original side bar, a rare occurrence as they are usually long since removed.
~ 1844 Pattern ~
These P1844 Yeomanry carbines were made between 1844 and 1847 precisely, about
13,000 were required for the Yeomanry but this order could not be completely
satisfied as the carbines were made from converting old Flintlock parts (you can
see, on the lock, the marks where frizen/pan were) which were exhausted/ran out, so
Lovell/Ordnance Department carried on by converting old Flintlock Paget Carbines to
percussion. This carbine, being made in 1847, would be one of the last ones. Around
10,000 were made.
~ Dimensions ~
The barrel length is 20 inches (51 cm) and the overall length of the carbine is 36 inches (91.5 cm).
It weighs 3.1 Kg.
~ Condition ~
This is an excellent example. The metal darkened but is rust or damage free.
The wooden frame remains free of cracks, significant chips (a couple of small ones around the lock) or excessive wear.
The carbine half cocks, cocks and fires with a strong spring.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £25 or it can be collected from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.