~ A Fine Pair Of Durs Egg Flintlock Pistol Converted To Percussion ~
This is an excellent export pair of Durs Egg pistols of a high standard. These pistols were made as flintlocks around 1780 and exported to the French market. Later on they were converted to percussion cap pieces.
The barrels, the trigger guards, the walnut stock and probably the under slung ram rods were kept intact.
The flintlock was replaced around 1820-30 with a percussion cap system, clearly visible as the barrel’s touch hole used to ignite the powder was used to fix the percussion pin with a screw.
Another improvement was the addition of a rear and front silver sights.
Both barrels bear the Egg trademark on top of their barrels and three other French proof marks.
Two of the French Royal marks are inlaid in gold and the third one is copper.
Both pistols have walnut chequered grips with silver pommel plates and silver decorations around the barrel’s fixing nuts.
The trigger steel guards are decorated with scrolled foliate etched details and pineapple finials.
The top of the barrels are decorated, behind the hammer, with a gold inlaid band and further etched details.
The butt is beautifully carved and have blank silver inlaid shields.
~ Dimensions ~
The barrels length is 10.2 inches (26 cm) and the overall length of each of them is 15.8 inches (40 cm).
The pair weighs 2 kg.
~ Condition ~
The pistols are in superb condition for their age.
There is minimum wear on the woodwork and metalwork.
They half cock, cock and release with a strong spring.
The metalwork has darkened with time, as expected, but remains in top condition.
The woodwork is in good order. One of the pistols has more signs of usage than the other. It also has a small crack, as many of these pistols developed, between the lock plate and the trigger guard.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £22 or the pair can be collected from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.