~ Circa 1600’s Bladed 1930's Japanese Naval Officers Wakisachi Shinshinto Era ~
The blade was made in the 17th Century but its fittings are from the 1930’s.
The blade very well preserved, made in the ‘shinogi-kukuri’ pattern. Its mune (blade back) is shaped in the 'Maru' (rounded) style and its kissaki (point) is long.
The hamon is made in the sugu (straight), the boshi (point’s hamon) is komaru (small circle) and the hada (grain) is muji (with no grain).
The swords fittings are made of gilded steel with similar foliate engraving, except for the habaki (blade locket/ferrule) which is made of silvered copper and is not decorated.
The tsuka (grip) is made of bamboo covered with black rayskin and a brown woven silk. It comes with a brown saymi (knot) attached to the kashira’s (pommel) suspension ring. The menuki (ornaments) are in the form of the naval cherry blossom.
The iron tsuba (guard) is made of three iron pieces. The one at the middle has no decoration, but the other two are cast in the ‘rising sun’ pattern. There are six speppa (spacers), three on each side of the guard.
The fushi (sleeve) is fitted with a safety button.
The saya (scabbard) is made of black lacquered bamboo and rayskin, fitted with two gilt iron obitori and kanagu (suspension rings), a kashiwaba (fittings on the lower end) and a koiri (end-cap/chape), identical with the one on the grip.
The tang is unsigned. It is made in the funagata style with haagari tang tip and kesho tang file marks.
~ Dimensions ~
The blade has a length of 17.1 inches (43.5 cm), the sword has an overall length of 26.8 inches (68 cm) and with scabbard has an overall length of 30.1 inches (76.5 cm). It weighs 1.1 kg.
~ Condition ~
The saya (scabbard) has some minimum signs of wear, but its overall condition is excellent, as seen in the images.
The gilt finish on some of its fittings is worn in places, as expected for its age.
The blade is excellent, except for some minor pitting from the natural manufacturing process.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £18 or it can be collected from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.