Posting Air Guns

Chat about different airguns, airgun accessories and pellets. Your shooting experiences, and buying experiences.

Posting Air Guns

Postby Gratz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Have just read an earlier thread about posting guns, I can confirm all courier companies. Eg Hermes etc forbid carryin any guns or even parts of guns, also when I recently asked in a post office the mere mention of guns sent them into a complete panic and evn pointing out the point about ` not by air ` had no impact particularly as the address was not a flying destination.
Gratz
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:06 pm

There is no restriction according to the post offices own leaflet on the sending of sporting rifles/airguns this is a myth ask to see there leaflet its quite clear on there, though some of the prohibited items make no sense, you will be pleased to know your not allowed to send explosives
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby Gratz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately the people in out local po do not agree.What is the reference of this leaflet to which you refer
Gratz
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby jef » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I think there was something in one of the national papers today about how the Royal Mail committed suicide when it stopped controlling the theft of parcels. I am always suspicious when post office staff `demand` to know what is inside parcels being posted. Is it really to ensure no `contrabrand` is being posted after all what criminal is going to answer that question truthfully. Or is it so that they can let their mates know which ones are worth pinching.
jef
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Graham I,ve got a copy in my office am at home now will let you know tomorrow and if I can will upload a picture, its a leaflet about the new regulations regarding what can and can not be sent via royal mail /parcel force unfortunatly unless you have a leaflet to wave under there noses it can be a real pain dealing with a jobsworthy type.
There is also no restriction on sending to another country provided the item is not prohibited there.
It would appear co2 caps can no longer be sent by post office, pellets ok, live ammo not. Some of the items seem fair enough explosives/body parts/human waste etc some less so areosols for instance.
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:41 pm

I agree with jeff there I hate being asked whats in my parcel and being honest seems pointless I tried to send a daisy bb gun with a post office near my work they where having none of it, lucky for me my local (self employed post master) had no problem. The problem with the internet is once theres a rumour about post office not accepting guns it becomes fact.
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Graham following this link www.postoffice/prohibited-goods-UK and follow the link sporting guns this takes you on to the restricted items list which clearly states what can and can not be sent. Even prohibited weapons can be sent under some circumstances. This is available as a leaflet from any post office. Hope this helps.
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby jon.g1972 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 am

On the wall of my sorting office is a huge list of prohibited goods and in it is any sporting air weapons and accessory ,but that`s the royal mail,parcel force do allow it,all the courior firms prohibit all weapons even replicas, so be carefull as a found deac in the post will almost certainly lead to your door going through at 6 in the morning
jon.g1972
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby jef » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:07 pm

You have to read it all very carefully, it may be deliberately worded to confuse, but initially
( this is the Post Office )it says in PROHIBITED GOODS ( weapons) "Including Section 5 firearms (e.g. handguns, machine guns), CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives, tasers and stun guns. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays " SO THAT LOT MENTIONED YOU CANNOT SEND.
It then goes on to say YOU CAN STILL SEND " Guns for sporting use, including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles), Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms and low-powered air weapons may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Please see Restricted Goods page." SO THAT LOT JUST MENTIONED YOU CAN STILL SEND.
It then adds the following from the restricted goods page " Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see the Prohibited Goods page. Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender?s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging" SO AGAIN STATING CLEARLY that sect 1 & 2 ( rifles & shotguns ) can still be sent together with `low powered air guns( sub 12ft/lb & 6 ft/lb presumably otherwise they come under Sect 1 !! ??.)
THE UPSHOT OF ALL THE ABOVE IS THAT THE Post Office SHOULD accept Airguns for posting as they do not come under wepaons that are prohibited... .
jef
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes I think youve hit the nail on the head there jef, at a quick glance you would think all guns are on a prohibited list, when clearly this is not so, but you do have to read it ALL to find this out. I repeat its ok to send 12ftp/6ftp air rifles pistols, replicas, de-acts, shotguns, class 1 sporting rifles, you must send minimum first class (you should always send recorded delivery though suprisingly this is not compulsory.) Would be in there own interests if this info was put on gunstar for all to see.
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Jef I know what you mean by your comment sec1!!?? then again look at the VCR act LOL
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby Gratz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:14 pm

It may have been my first post but I seemed to hit a nail on the head !
I would suggest that GUNSTAR ought to make clear and clarify , but how do you persuade them ?
Gratz
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 pm

well its a very interesting post and an importent one as it affects a large proportion of buyers/sellers in fact I,ve carried out several transactions on gunstar and only one has been face to face and I suspect this is the case for most of us. I will email this thread direct to gunstar as this impacts on them to, and could lead to more transactions via this site. Hopefully this thread will also be avaiable on the forum to help everybody.
brian4712
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby jef » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm

There is a lot more i could say on this but I will try to keep it short, I think our lawmakers overlokooked the `loophole` where private postal sales were not banned like those from dealers. Of course the face to face or send to another dealer for a fancy fee was at the behest of some committee backed up by dealers. Truth be known i think the dealers would like a `closed shop` where all sales even face to face would have to go through a dealer for a fancy fee. Nothing against dealers making a living but do i really want to pay a £30 fee and postage on a £50 airgun. Once this little loophole is closed we won`t have to worry about whether we can send by Post Office or not. And there we are the Post Office laying down rules and regs just because we are gun fanciers as though we are some sort of 2nd class citizens when in truth by compliance with legislation the reverse is true. Nothing against gun dealers either just believe in level palying field. If not true could our lawmakers not have found a way to allow dealer postal sales to previously
`approved registered addresses` from known previous customers.
jef
Forum Members

Posting Air Guns

Postby brian4712 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I,am afriad as shooters we will always be seen as second class. Its interesting to note the difference between the UK and USA anytime theres a major shooting over here theres a huge ban the gun debate, in the states when there a school shooting theres a "lets arm the teachers" debate. I think we should just enjoy our hobby whilst it lasts, and lets face it when things like the Dunblane shooting take place it is tough to justify gun ownership. I doubt there will ever be an air gun ban, no ones gone on the rampage with an air rifle yet- I can see the headlines now "Man goes on rampage with .22 air rifle 2 people recieve minor grazing, lunatic gunman subdued when he dropped his pellet tin, armed police take opportunity to fire 5 MPks, gunman hit 75 times in chest" Police spokesman says police tried CPR but couldnt find heart or lungs"
brian4712
Forum Members

Next

Return to Airguns, pellets and airgun accessories