Largest selection of genuine antique weapons for sale in UK, visit our website andrewbottomley.com. Ref 8974. A scarce London Colt model 1851 .36 calibre Navy Percussion revolver with special order ivory grips. This Colt Model 1851 navy revolver was supplied by Samuel Colt’s London factory between 1852-1853, this was the only other Colt factory outside the United States of America. Colt received many famous visitors and would personally give them a guided tour. They included Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband) and the famous author Charles Dickens. Dickens was very impressed by the factory and working conditions and stated "It is the only place in England where one can see the complete manufacture of a pistol, from dirty pieces of timber and rough bars of cast steel, till it is fit for the gunsmiths case." Dickens was even invited to test one of Colt's .36 cal revolvers. His opinion was "After a little practice, I find that a mere novice may, with one hand, discharge the six rounds as rapidly as the eye can wink". Colt's revolvers were sold in the United States as well as being retailed in London England. This is one of the London Navy revolvers that were so popular with British officers serving in the Crimean War during the period 1853-1856. Engraved on the top of the 7.5 octagonal barrel with the words "ADDRESS COL COLT LONDON". Stamped with two British proof marks to the side of frame. Overall length approx 13.5 inches. Crisp working action. Serial numbers do not all match, otherwise in good condition. This is a good example of a rare Colt 1851 London Navy pistol with the special order ivory grips. Due to the current world situation regarding the export of elephant ivory, this item is offered for delivery to customers in the UK only. Ref 8974. This is an antique weapon and is sold as a collectors item only. No Licence is required in the United Kingdom. If you wish to purchase this item please visit our website andrewbottomley.com where you can pay by credit/debit card or bank transfer at no extra charge. Established 1968.