~ A New Specification Deactivated German Gewehr 88/05 rifle by Amberg ~
The receiver is stamp ‘5930 S’, ‘8382 e’ and crown above ‘BNP’ on the left side.
The top of the receiver is stamped ‘S’ (indicating a conversion to take the 7.92x57mm Mauser 1905 pattern cartridge) and crown above ‘AMBERG 1890’.
The left side of the breach is named ‘Gew88’.
The bolt is a Turkish replacement and is stamped with serial ‘035’ or ‘35’ on each of its components along with the Turkish national symbol, the star and half moon. Probably after it was retired from the German service the piece was exported to Turkey.
The trigger guard and the magazine are stamped with serial ‘8382 e’ and German imperial proof marks.
Unfortunately the deactivation certificate was lost.
It can be cocked and dry fired.
~ Dimensions ~
The barrel length is 28 inches (71 cm) and the overall length of the rifle is 49 inches (124.5 cm).
The rifle weighs 3.5 kg.
~ Condition ~
The overall condition of the rifle is very food. An excellent deactivated piece.
There is some pitting around the breech area, but nothing to serious.
The metalwork is rust free.
The woodwork is excellent with minor surface wear.
~ Postage ~
Postage is £20 or the rifle can be picked up from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
~ The Gewer 88 Rifle ~
The Gewehr 88 (commonly called the Model 1888 commission rifle) was a late 19th-century German bolt action rifle, adopted in 1888.
The invention of smokeless powder in the late 19th century immediately rendered all of the large-bore black powder rifles then in use obsolete. To keep pace with the French (who had adopted smokeless powder "small bore" ammunition for their Lebel Model 1886 rifle) the Germans adopted the Gewehr 88 using its own new M/88 cartridge, which was also designed by the German Rifle Commission.The rifle was one of many weapons in the arms race between the Germanic states and France, and with Europe in general. There were also two carbine versions, the Karabiner 88 for mounted troops and the Gewehr 91 for artillery. Later models provided for loading with stripper clips (Gewehr 88/05 and Gewehr 88/14) and would go on to serve in World War I to a limited degree. Unlike many of the rifles before and after, it was not developed by Mauser but the arms commission, and Mauser was one of the few major arms manufacturers in Germany that did not produce Gewehr 88s