~ A Pair Of Late 18th Century Duelling Percussion Conversion Pistols By H.W. Mortimer Of London ~
This is a beautifully decorated pair of circa 1790 Mortimer pistols, converted from flintlock to percussion and have rather long barrels.
Harvey Walklate Mortimer was made Gunmaker in Ordinary to George III in 1783.
The lock plates, barrel tangs and trigger guards have etched floral decorations and the walnut rounded sack butts are chequered.
The top side of the butts bear a blank silver escutcheon plate.
The muzzles are also decorated with a geometrical pattern.
The gunsmiths name is stamped on the top of both barrels.
The left side of both barrels are stamped.
One of them reads ‘APX-574-EX-73’ and the other AOX-506-EX-73’.
The hammers are dolphin shaped.
The pistols half cock, cock and release with ease.
The original ramrods are hinged.
The pistols calibre is 16 gauge (.67 cal) and are fitted with front sights.
~ Dimensions ~
The barrel length is 10 inches (25.5 cm) and the overall length of a pistol is 16.5 inches (42 cm).
The pair weighs 1.8 kg.
~ Condition ~
The pistols are in excellent period condition.
The metalwork free from pitting and rust free.
The woodwork has some bruises, minor splits and age wear but its overall condition is good.
The percussion nipples were replaced at some point in time.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £25 or it can be collected from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.