~ A WWII German Kriegsmarine sextant by C.Plath, Hamburg presented in its original fitted case ~
These were used on both U-Boats and surface craft
The sextant has the serial number '5498' and the German eagle on the index arm as well as the makers name. The case is hinged with two metal hook clasps to the front with a brass plaque on the lid that reads 'W.W.S.'. It also has a lock but we do not have the key.
Mounted inside the case is a later official Certificate of Examination from Henry Browne & Son Ltd, dated 8/12/71.
Included is the eyepiece cover and brush.
~ Dimensions ~
The case measures 11.3 inches by 11.3 inches (31.25cm) with a height of 7 inches (17.75cm). The set weighs 3.81kg.
~ Condition ~
The case has minor surface wear. The sextant is in very decent order, the mirrors are fine and all optics/mirrors/shades free from chips and cracks.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £25 or it can be collected from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
The C.Plath company was originally founded in Hamburg in 1837 by David Filby, son of an innkeeper in Husum on the west coast of Schleswig-Holstein in North Germany. David Filby traded in nautical literature, charts and sextants imported from England. Carl Plath purchased Filby's business in 1862. With his new business Carl Plath concentrated on the manufacture of sextants, magnetic compasses, binnacles and barometers. In August 1887 Carl Plath was awarded a German Reich Patent for his newly developed compass card.
In 1905 at the advanced age of 80, Carl Plath retired. Three years later he handed over his share of the business to his son Theodor, who with effect from 30th April, 1908 became sole owner of the firm C.Plath. Dr Hermann Anschuetz-Kaempfe was granted a patent for the first gyrocompass in 1905 and this new development was closely followed by Theodor Plath, and it was no surprise when in 1912 C.Plath became a sales and service agent for Anschuetz for the merchant marine market, whereas Anschuetz concentrated its efforts on the German Imperial Navy. This business relationship came to an end when the German Reich collapsed at the end of World War II.
After 163 years, C.Plath changes its name to Sperry Marine in May 2000. In 2001 Sperry Marine becomes part of the Northrop Grumman Corporation.