~ 1945 Nazi German SS Trumpet Banner With Unit Designation ~
Here we have an incredibly interesting SS unit flag, it appears this one would have been attached to a trumpet or bugle.
The banner is the traditional plain black background with the double ‘S’ rune stitched on either side.
On one side there is stitched a rectangle of green felt, on the felt in white is attached the unit designation for the SS unit, ‘275/37’.
The edge is finished with white tassels. The upper side has three strips of cloth for attaching to the trumpet.
The numbers “275/37” in white over a green background, indicate an infantry division.
The insignia represents the amalgamation of the reminiscence of the 275th Infantry Division and the 37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division in early months of 1945, most probably in march when they were transferred to the Eastern Front, there the 37th was seeing action as well.
We were not able to find the precise records regarding the period when they were fighting together on the Eastern front, but a more thorough research may reveal the all the details.
~ 37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division "Lützow" ~
Was a unit in the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany unit of World War II formed in February 1945,
consisting of remnants of SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer and SS Cavalry Division Maria Theresia, in addition to mostly under-age German, Hungarian Volkdeutsche, and ethnic Hungarian recruits. The division was intended to have three cavalry regiments of two battalions each, but due to lack of men and equipment it could only field two understrength regiments as its main combat units.
Initially the division was commanded by SS-Oberführer Waldemar Fegelein, but in March he was replaced by SS-Standartenführer Karl Gesele. The unit saw action against Soviets as a part of 6. SS-Panzerarmee during the final weeks of war, before surrendering to Americans in Austria in May. It was named after the Prussian general Adolf von Lützow.
~ The 275th Infantry Division ~
The 275th was formed in late 1943, in France, from remnants of the 223rd Infantry Division. It was commanded by Generalleutnant Hans Schmidt from 10 December 1943 until it was disbanded on 22 November 1944.
Early in the Normandy landings, (June 6, 1944) two Infantry battalions, the Fusilier battalion, one artillery battalion and an engineer company were sent to the Normandy area. The rest of the division followed in mid July.
The 275th suffered heavy losses in the Falaise pocket and was transferred to Aachen for refitting. Here it was re-enforced with the Luftwaffe fortress battalions XII and XX. The 275th was transferred to the Düren - Hürtgenwald area where it suffered severe losses and was disbanded. The remnants forming the 344th Infantry Division.
The 275th Infantry Division was reformed in January 1945, near Flensburg, and was transferred to the Eastern front where it was destroyed in the Halbe pocket in 1945.
~ Dimensions ~
The flag is 24 inches (30 cm) by 22 inches (56 cm).
The banner weighs 205 g.
~ Condition ~
The banner is in good condition for its age with some minor discolouration to the fabric.
The felt has some damage but the unit designation is clear.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £18 or it can be inspected in our Portsmouth shop.