British 1751 Infantry Hanger
The single edged blade is 69cm long with an overall length of 79cm, slightly curved with a single fuller along the back edge. On the rear of the blade is a figure 9 surmounted by a Crown inspection stamp, showing that the blade had been issued to an active army regiment at some time. The heart shaped brass guard is engraved Gloucestershire-M-S-B, issued to the South Gloucestershire Milita battalion, but before they changed their name. Dating it to between 1763 and 1795
The 1751 pattern of British hanger sword succeeded the earlier 1742 pattern and was issued to British soldiers during the Seven Years War and to both sides during the American Revolutionary Wars of Independence. It was taken out of regular army service towards the close of the 18th century and re-issued to Militia regiments and used by the East India Company.
Gloucestershire, Regiments of Militia were formed in 1750. By 1763 these had been divided into South and North Battalions. The former called the South Gloucestershire, and the latter called The North Gloucestershire Regiment of Militia, with its headquarters at Cirencester. In 1795 they were renamed into the Royal South and the Royal North respectively....Read full description