~ A new spec deactivated Russian Heavy Machine Gun - D.S.H.K. caliber 12.7 mm - c1938-1946 ~
On almost all the metal parts of the machine gun is stamped the serial number "522".
On the barrel, just after the reloading mechanism another series is stamped "1047 22 M95 X M"
On the trigger mechanism is the remote control firing cable (used when mounting on a tank) can be found.
The deactivation certificate is dated 29.01.1998
~ Dimensions ~
The weight of the machine gun is 34 kg (74.96 lb).
The barrel length is 1,070 mm (42.1 in) and the overall length is 1,625 mm (64.0 in).
~ Condition ~
The D.S.H.K. machine gun is is very good condition, with some wearing signs. The metal work has some scratches but there are no signs of rust.
One of the wooden grips has a gouge but this is nothing serious.
~ Postage ~
UK postage is £35 or the D.S.H.K. can be collected from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
~ History ~
The DShK ("Krupnokaliberny Pulemet Degtyareva-Shpagina) is a Soviet heavy machine gun firing the 12.7×108mm cartridge.
It took its name from the weapons designers Vasily Degtyaryov, who designed the original weapon, and Georgi Shpagin, who improved the cartridge feed mechanism. It is sometimes nicknamed Dushka (lit. "Sweetie", "Dear"), from the abbreviation.
The requirement for a heavy machine gun appeared in 1929. The first such gun, the Degtyaryov, Krupnokalibernyi (DK, Degtyaryov, Large calibre), was built in 1930 and this gun was produced in small quantities from 1933 to 1935.
The gun was fed from a drum magazine of only thirty rounds, and had a poor rate of fire. Shpagin developed a belt feed mechanism to fit to the DK giving rise, in 1938, to the adoption of the gun as the DShK 1938. This became the standard Soviet heavy machine gun in World War II.
Like its U.S. equivalent, the M2 Browning, the DShK 1938 was used in several roles. As an anti-aircraft weapon it was mounted on pintle and tripod mounts, and on a triple mount on the GAZ-AA truck. Late in the war, it was mounted on the cupolas of IS-2 tanks and ISU-152 self-propelled guns. As an infantry heavy support weapon it used a two-wheeled trolley which unfolded into a tripod for anti-aircraft use, similar to the mount developed by Vladimirov for the 1910 Maxim gun. It was also mounted in vehicle turrets, for example, in the T-40 light amphibious tank.