~ German Made House Of Hanover Collection Percussion Double Barrel Hunting Rifle ~
The piece was manufactured by Ch. Grohwald in Neustrelitz and was part of the Hanover collection.
It is believed that the rifle has been manufactured between 1840 and 1850.
The exquisite quality barrels are blued and bear on the top the manufacturer’s name in silver, just after the rear sight.
The barrel on the left is a smooth one whilst the one on the right has spiral rifling.
The lockplates are named, one with the gunsmiths name and the other one with their home town.
All metal components of the rifle are foliage decorated.
The firing mechanism is rather unusual with two independent safety covers for the nipples.
The blued trigger guard and its tang are also decorated with hunting scenes and towards the barrel’s side it is decorated with a pineapple shaped finial.
The hand grip is chequered and the sling hooks are present.
The stock butt is carved for a right handed user and its butt end is made of foliage decorated steel and stamped ‘No.10’.
The butt is fitted with a slide door to carry a cleaning kit or extra ammunition.
The rifle works as intended by the manufacturer. Both its hammers half cock, cock and fire.
~ Dimensions ~
The barrels are 31.05 inches (79 cm) long and the overall length of the rifle is 47.05 inches (119.5 cm).
The rifle weighs 3.5 Kg.
~ Condition ~
The rifle is in excellent condition with excellent clean bores.
The steel but plate has some minor age wear.
~ Postage ~
UK postage can be arranged or it can be picked up from our shop in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. ...Read full description