A fine 18th century flintlock musketoon by Daniel Goff, Master of the Gunmakers Company, London, with brass barrel and walnut stock, stamped Goff to lock plate, proof marks to barrel. Goff was gunmaker to Ordnance from 1782-1803 and East India Company 1780-1839.
Apprenticed to William Brander in 1768, he was free of the Gunmakers Company in 1775. He submitted his proof piece in 1779, took Livery and had his mark registered in that year. In 1780 he became Elected Assistant, and was Master in 1784, 1797, 1805, and 1821. He established his own business in 1775 at 6 Victualling Office Square, Tower Hill. In 1782 he moved to 39 Mansell Street. Between 1783 and 1785 he moved to 119 Leadenhall Street, and in 1788/89 to 9 Bartholomew Lane. In 1790/91 he moved to 58 Mansell Street, and in 1796/97 to 21 Somerset Street, Goodmans Fields. In 1820/21 he moved to 57 Houndsditch. In 1828/29 the name of the business changed to Daniel Goff & Co and they moved to 5 Old Montague Street with additional premises at Frosty Court. Daniel Goff was a Gunmaker to Ordnance from 1782 to 1803, and to the East India Company from 1780 to 1840 when he died. William Hegley was his Manager, he took over Goff's contracts with the East India Company in 1840.
This particular musketoon has a 10 bore 13.5” barrel with an overall length of 29.5” and has brass furniture with a captive ramrod, undoubtedly made for the Militia. The woodwork is very good and the lock functions perfectly on full and half cock. Proof marks are on top of the barrel and the makers name is on the lock.
A good solid example of a musketoon.
...Read full description