What You Need to Know: West Mercia Q&A on Firearms Licensing
News Dealer & Industry News
First introduced in 1847, the design of the buckle remained virtually unchanged until 1918. After January of 1915, these buckles, which were also used by the Prussian-dominated states of Baden, Oldenburg, Hansa and Thuringia, were made of zinc-plated sheet iron. Originally the box buckles came in 60mm until 1895 when the width was reduced to 45mm, (roughly 1 3/4 inches), in an attempt to lighten the weight load of the field gear. Initially the buckles were produced of brass with a nickel/silver face plate until 1914 when steel construction buckles were introduced. An early, pre-1895 pattern, two-piece brass and nickel/silver construction Prussian belt buckle. The 60mm, slightly convex, stamped metal box buckle, features, against its plain, obverse field, a crown to its domed centre, encompassed by a dual rope-like border within which, against a ribbed background, is "Gott Mit Uns" (God [is] With Us), and a spray of laurels. See Chapter four of ‘German Belt Buckles 1845-1945 by Peter Nash. This example is in very good condition, see images. The price includes UK delivery. N 121.